I am a big fan of Holidays. Especially the 4th of July. BBQ, beaches and fireworks…what could be better for relaxing and reducing our stress levels? Because lets face it, times are hard. Yes…I said it. No matter what industry you are in, the economy is making it harder to make a living. In our industry premiums are down, commissions have been reduced and our clients are slow to make decisions. This causes STRESS.
“When you constantly perceive yourself as stressed, you never get the stress turned off and you bathe yourself in a toxic substance.” Thea Singer, MIT
Stress can be toxic. It can invade all we do and makes us less productive. It can also be passed on to others and can have an effect on our co-workers and families. Here are five simple ways to reduce stress…I am not suggesting we all become Zen masters…but lets try to do one of these and see if it helps:
- Break a Sweat – Exercise is widely viewed as a healthy outlet for stress. If we can find a routine around exercise and stick with it, this has a long-term effect on our stress levels and our over all health.
- Skip the Unhealthy Snacks – Stress eating makes us feel better…temporarily. Over time it wears down our ability to keep anxiety at bay – so skip the late night ice cream.
- Call a Friend – Talking to a friend, joining a club to make new friends – these ideas are universal but can give you an outlet ideally before you need it.
- Be Compassionate – Acceptance of others, letting go of resentments – these ideas in particular are good at warding off stress.
- Meditate – This can be a simple three-minute process. Stop in the moment and quiet your mind. Listen to the voice inside and breathe (too zen for you?)…believe me it works.