If you are not adding 20 new prospects to your database every month, then prospecting is not your priority. Without question, the most successful reps have a method and a madness to their marketing – but it is not rocket science we are talking about. It is setting a plan and following it. There are many ways to find new prospects, but in the end you need to commit to an idea and set a goal…and 5 new prospects a week is an attainable goal.
Let me give you an idea on how to get there. We all know how much “cold calling” is despised in our world. At the same time it is still a part of our prospecting that must not be overlooked. But instead of “cold calling” in the old-fashioned way, let’s try a twist that has proven successful for many of the reps who use our newsletter system.
The reason we hate to make the cold-calls is because of a phenomenon I call “the push-back.” This is the natural reaction that any person would have when they are being called and asked to do something they are not sure they want to do. Have you ever gone into a clothing store and had the salesman ask you if you need help? If you are like me when they ask you most likely you say “no thanks.” That is the push-back. Our clients have been conditioned over time to say no…and they say no even if they really mean yes or want to say yes.
With our newsletter program we train our reps a different way. We anticipate the push-back by taking away the idea that we are asking them to buy anything. Here is an example:
- You might not be aware that I’m in the Financial Services business.
- I didn’t call because I thought you would be in the market for any of our programs now. I just came back from a meeting in Carlsbad and my company now has a personal and business newsletter.
- Once a month we have mailings on wills, tax shelters, and ways to save and accumulate money on a variety of subjects.
- The newsletter contains information so that in the future when you have a question or concern about your future planning (financial planning), maybe you’ll call me. There is NO CHARGE for the newsletter.
You wouldn’t object to receiving this free newsletter would you?
- Good! In a few months, if something catches your attention, it might be a good reason for us to grab a coffee of lunch. Would that be ok?
I know you hate to cold call. But this type of call is much easier and does lead to success. If you commit to this idea finding 20 new names a month for your database will be easy to do. Call us if you want to use our newsletter program. While the actual newsletter has a fee (less than $40/month) the training is free of charge.